Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Entering the world of Reading!


So recently I have found myself wanting to read. Now this hasn't happened many times in the past, and so this is exciting me. My desire to learn and to aquire new knowledge in subjects that I know little or nothing about is new to me... and I like it! You see, I'm not what you would call a book worm, or a scholar... and so to find that I want to become knowledgable... that's HUGE!


The books I have read haven't all been classics or high quality, but I'm reading, and following what I'm interested at that moment. Here's what I've read this year:


Harry Potter 7 (J. K. Rowling)
He’s Just Not That In To You--now I've read this one before, but I just love reading it!
What Seems Like Crazy On An Ordinary Day (Pearl Cleage)
Twilight (Stephenie Meyers)
New Moon (Stephenie Meyers)
Eclipse (Stephenie Meyers)
Breaking Dawn (Stephenie Meyers)
Love In The Time Of Cholera (Gabriel García Márquez)
The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver)
Bridget Jones’s Diary (Helen Fielding)
1984 (George Orwell)
The Host (Stephenie Meyers)
The Memory Keepers Daughter (Kim Edwards)
Tuck Everlasting (Natalie Babbitt)
Post Mortem (Patricia D. Cornwell)
The Giver (Lois Lowry)
The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd)

The Color Purple (Alice Walker)


I really would love any suggestions on good books or authors that I should look into. I went into Barnes & Nobles recently and quickly became overwhelmed with my options.... I didn't know what to do... too many books!


4 comments:

Liz said...

Wow that's quite the list! I tried reading "Love in the Time of Cholera" over the summer, but just couldn't get into it. What did you think of "The Memory-Keeper's Daughter"? I've had that one recommended about a dozen times, and never gotten around to reading it.

The book-lover and future English teacher in me is so happy when someone is excited about reading. =)

Based on you, and the list of books you've read recently, here are a few titles to look into:

"The Book of Ruth" by Jane Hamilton
(Difficult read at times, but a beautiful story about learning to let go of the things that hurt us)

"The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield
(This book is incredible and intense. About twins and overcoming the twisted past of a family)

"Soon I Will Be Invincible" by Austin Grossman
(Fun read, about superheroes and villains)

"Ahab's Wife" by Sena Jeter Naslund
(One of my favorite books I've read all year. The heroine of this book is one of the strongest, most intriguing characters I've ever encountered in literature.)

"The Gun Seller" by Hugh Laurie
(Um, yeah. Hugh Laurie. Awesome. A mystery/comedy/thriller. Confusing plot at times, but his sense of humor makes it totally worth it.)

"Two Moons in August" by Martha Brooks
(One of my favorite books. About a girl who's family has fallen apart some since their mother died, and about the romance that leads to her healing.)

"The Whistling Toilets" by Randy Powell
(I LOVE THIS BOOK. Another young adult romance...I have a long-standing crush on the narrator of this book. Good ole Stan Claxton. The characters and writing in this book are hysterical.)

"The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho
(Holy Mormon concepts, Batman. Very doctrinal fiction, a beautiful book.)

"Jonathan Livingston Seagull" by Richard Bach
(Another doctrinal wonder. This is one of Jordan's favorite books, and Annie's...there's so much truth to it.)

"One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey
(Famous read, and for good reason, because it's freakin amazing.)

I also always recommend anything by:
M.E. Kerr
John Irving
Ray Bradbury

So there are a few jumping off points. =) I tried to provide a wide smattering of genres, so you have an idea or two for whatever mood you're in. I love you! And books. In that order.

A said...

Shannon Hale's The Goose Girl and Princess Academy. They were recommended to me by Scott and they're great. They're young adult books. Romantic and absolutely delightful!!

I just finished Faerie Wars by Herbie Brennan, a YA fantasy. It was great and British, I might add.

Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand - inspirational, true, and reads like a novel.

Stick Figure by Lori Gottlieb - Real diary of girl who was anoerexic in the 70s. Witty, interesting, and entertaining. It's an eye-opener--it really highlights how media can affect our own self image.

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy - this is quite an undertaking, but it's wonderful.

Also I would recommend going to http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/everything/index.shtml Scott reviews all sorts of things--many of them books. I've never been led astray by his recommendations. Speaking of which, Have you read Ender's Game? It's very good.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jaggers Brain said...

Oh my gosh i love you all, and thank you for your recommends!

Liz I barely made it through love in the time of cholera... i wouldn't recommend it really... as for the memory keepers daughter... i really really enjoyed it and found it to be very touching. I think you would enjoy it.... as an easy read. I have it if you would like to borrow it.

Thank you Allison and Liz, and person who I don't know! Love you!