Friday, November 11, 2011

Thank You!



Today is a really special day, and not just because it is 11-11-11 (although that is awesome) but it is a really important day to remember those who have served and protected our country.



This whole year I have been thinking more and more about our men and women out serving our country. I've been watching more documentaries about the various wars we have fought in since the Declaration of Independence, and I am just so proud to be an American.



I remember right out of high school I was considering joining one of the branches of the military, because I wanted to be a medic, or train to be a nurse with our government, but my Dad quickly helped me realize that with my ankles (or lack there of) the military probably wouldn't take me.

That being said I am so proud of all those who voluntarily put their lives at risk for the sake of others. You are incredible examples of true heroes and you are in my thoughts and prayers regularly. Words cannot express what your sacrifices and efforts have done to bless the lives of countless of individuals throughout the world. Thank you!



This past June I had the honor of going to the American Cemetery in France near Utah and Omaha beaches. (American landing sites for D-day) Being there was like nothing else I have ever done in my life. The sense of awe, pride, sorrow, love, honor, and countless other emotions just cannot be described. It truly felt like I was on holy ground. Being in a cemetery of thousands of Americans who gave their lives in the defense of the defenseless was so very humbling.

In a time of selfishness, to walk on to a site of selflessness was just what I needed. Thank you again to all those who have served, or are serving our country. Your service is needed, wanted, accepted, and embraced!



I am so proud to be an American, and pray that I can be the type of American that our veterans are.

1 comment:

Liz said...

I had a hard time supporting our troops for many years. I'm so anti-war, it was hard for me to reconcile my feelings. But then I met Jacqueline, and then Jacqueline married a marine. They were together for only a few months before he was shipped off to Afghanistan. The courage and faith with which she and he both lived during those 8 months apart taught me a powerful lesson on sacrifice. He returned home safely, and their first daughter is now 5 months old. Because of the incredible example of this man, I have come to love and respect both those in the armed forces, AND the families of those who live with their sacrifices every moment of every day.

(Jacqueline's blog is here if you wanna read it. Nowadays its more baby than military, as well it should be, but it's a huge inspiration to me. http://franceis.blogspot.com/)