Monday, January 2, 2012

Trip To Mormontown

My Aunt Colleen seems to be the Nauvoo tour guide for her visiting nieces. The best part is that Colleen isn't a Mormon. She very nicely drove me the 250 miles from Chicago to Nauvoo on New Years Eve day. She was even the one to notice the temple first. And I just need to continually thank her.



It is so wonderful to actually stand in the town that once was a booming Mormon settlement. I was in awe as we drove into the town, and even before we saw any of the "sights."



Walking around the Smith family cemetery was a bittersweet experience. I love that family so dearly, and feel so much for them. They have sacrificed and given so much for the faith that I so easily can live. It is because of their faith and endurance that I can enjoy the fruits of their efforts.



And the next morning we traveled the short distance to Carthage jail. I wasn't too sure how I would react on seeing the location of the Prophet Joseph and his brother Hyrum's deaths. Despite the violence that took place there, the jail held a peace and comfort that I wasn't expecting.



Looking back on our short trip through a bit of church history, I can't think of a better way to end and start a year, than to renew and re-inspire my faith and testimony. I cannot think of a better way to start New Years goals, and rekindle relationships with family members. I am grateful for an understanding family, and a loving aunt who knew how important this trip would be to me, and who had the perfect balance of humor and faith to be the perfect partner in crime. Love you Aunt Colleen!

(Now I'll need to come back when the temple is open!)

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Isn't Nauvoo an amazing place!! There is such a neat spirit there--you can feel the mark that all those faithful saints left.
Glad you got to go. We'll be only an hour and a half away when we move to Hannibal MO in May!

Jaggers Brain said...

When I come out to Chicago again this summer we should meet in Nauvoo!!