Thursday, July 5, 2012

Something I Never Really Finished

Now before I moved to England to start my Masters Degree I was supposed to have read all the plays that will be listed below.

The problem.... I didn't get the packet with that information until about a month before I was moving. Now I know I could have done it, but I got distracted in the moves, and ending of my job. Then it was finding housing in England, living in England, and trying to be a student.

So NOW I want to do it.

Here is the list:


1.) Ancient
Aeschylus, The Oresteia
Euripides, The Becchae, Medea
Plautus, The Rope
Sophocles, Antigone, Oedipus Rex


2.) Medieval
Anon, The Castle of Perseverance
Anon, Everyman
Anon, Mankind


3.) Early Modern
Ben Jonson, The Alchemist
Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
William Shakespeare, Hamlet, MacBeth, Othello, Richard III, Tempest
John Webster, The Duchess of Malfi


4.)Sixteenth and Seventeenth Century European
Calderon, Life is a Dream
Moliere, Tartuffe
Jean Racine, Phedre


5.)Restoration
Aphra Behn, The Rover
George Etherege, The Man of Mode


6.)Eighteenth Century
John Gay, The Beggar's Opera
Richard Brinsley, The School for Scandal
George Lillo, The London Merchant (Or The History of George Barnwell)


7.)European Classics and Romanticism
Georg Buchner, Woyzeck
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Faust
Friedrich Schiller, Maria Stuart


8.) Victorian Plays and Melodrama
Collection: The Light o'London and other Victorian Plays (Oxfords Worlds Classics)
Colin H Hazlewood, Lady Audley's Secret
Douglas Jerrold, Black-Ey'd Susan


9.) Nineteenth Century and Naturalism
Anton Chekhov, The Cherry Orchard, Three Sisters
Nikolai Gogol, The Government Inspector
Gerhart Hauptmann, The Weavers
Henrik Ibsen, A Doll's House, Hedda Gabler, Peer Gynt
Thomas WIlliam Robertson, Caste
August Strindberg, Miss Julie, A Dream Play
Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest


10.) Modern European
Antonin Artaud, Spurt of Blood
Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot
Bertolt Brecht, Mother Courage, Caucasian Chalk Circle
Jean Genet, The Balcony
Alfred Jarry, The Ubu Plays
Georg Kaiser, From Morn to Midnight
Federico Garcia Lorca, Blood Wedding
Heiner Muller, Hamletmachine
Luigi Pirandello, Six Characters in Search of an Author
Frank Wedekind, Spring Awakening


11.) Twentieth Century British
Edward Bond, Saved
Sean O'Casey, The Plough and the Stars
Caryl Churchill, Cloud Nine, Top Girls
Noel Coward, Hay Fever
Shelagh Delaney, A Taste of Honey
Harley Granville Barker, The Voysey Inheritance
Sarah Kane, Blasted
John McGrath, The Cheviot, The Stag and the Black, Black Oil
John Osborne, Look Back in Anger
Harold Pinter, The Birthday Party
J B Priestley, An Inspector Calls
Terrence Rattigan, The Deep Blue Sea
Mark Ravenhill, Shopping and F-ing
Elizabeth Robins, Votes for Women
George Bernard Shaw, Pygmalion, Mrs Warren's Profession
Peter Shaffer, The Royal Hunt of the Sun
Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Timberlake Wertenbaker, The Love of the Nightingale


12.) Twentieth Century American
Edward Albee, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf
Marie Irene Fornes, The Conduct of Life
Lorraine Hansberry, A Raisin in the Sun
Tony Kushner, Angels in America
Arthur Miller, Death of a Salesman
Eugene O'Neil, Long Day's Journey into Night
Gertrude Stein, Four Saints in Three Acts
Tennessee Williams, A Streetcar Named Desire
Thornton Wilder, Our Town


13.) World Theatre
Aime Cesaire, A Tempest
Fungard, Kani and Ntshone, The Island
Wole Soyinka, Death and the King's Horseman
Noh Plays of Japan: An Anthology, Arthur Waley, ed., Dover 1998.

SO... if you're still with me... thank you... it is quite a list.

Now I have read some of them before, and yet I think I will start from scratch and read all of them. Now some of them in the more modern time periods are a little uncomfortable for me... so we will see if I read ALL of them.

But I'm excited; I have been missing theatre, and since I am poor I really can't see much, but I have a library card and I like reading!

It is not the same but it will have to do for now!

8 comments:

Liz said...

GO SARAH GO!

This is a pretty epic list. I don't know if you still have login info for BYU-I, but there's oodles of films of theatrical productions (or film adaptations of theatrical plays). I watched a handful of the things I needed to read for Theatre History, and I loved it.

Go to:
http://www.lib.byui.edu/

Click on the tab that says "FILMS/MUSIC" below the search bar.

Click on "ACADEMIC VIDEO ONLINE" in the top left-hand corner.

Log in (text me if you don't have log in anymore, and you can use mine)

Deselect everything except "THEATRE" and either search for a specific title, or just click search without entering anything and browse.

There's a great production of Hedda Gabler, and a REALLY great production of Six Characters in Search of an Author (starring Andy Griffith).

Enjoy!

Jaggers Brain said...

I will need to text you after work cuz my login died a long time ago... sadly.

That sounds awesome though!

Annie McNeil said...

Dang, girl. That's awesome. Good luck!

Jaggers Brain said...

Thanks...I will probably need it!

essi1356 said...

Yikes, how sophisticated you will be! I hope that you will still be our friend... :) Good luck!

Jaggers Brain said...

Hahaha... I doubt I will be any more sophisticated. I'm not really sure I'm smart enough to understand most of the plays. We'll see though. I started off with a few I already know. I will write about them soon.

Lizzie said...

that will be an achievement....im pretty sure your dreams will get weirder and weirder from oedipus rex onwards...and good luck with the F'ing and Blinding in 20th century british!! your head will hurt from those pre 20th cenury ones but there are some fantastic plays in that list..im almost envious! you will be a very well read woman at the end!....and then you'l have kids and your brain will turn to mush and you'l forget it all!! haha good luck!!! xxx

Jaggers Brain said...

Thanks Lizzy... I'm more worried that my brain will explode or turn into mush before I finish... or even get to the twentieth century!