Tuesday, February 2, 2010

AFI Top 100 Movies

So this year I have brought back an old goal of mine. To watch all of the American Film Institutes Top 100 Films. It's kind of a hefty goal, but the fact that Cherie is in a film history class seems to help! Well so far this year I have watched four new films from this list. They are:

Citizen Kane

This film is fantastic, and I can see why it is on the top of every list! It's incredible, and I most definitely want to watch it again! For a while I thought I was watching a documentary, and thought it was a biographical work. All I can say is amazing! (And would I recognize Orsen Wells from anything else?)


Casablanca


Wow this movie is sosososososososo good! So many good quotes, and characters that I love! I see now why everyone talks about this film as well! So good! I think this one may be my favorite movie from the AFI list so far!

Double Indemnity


Okay... this movie blew my mind. I could not believe that they would create something like this at that time period! So awesome! This movie took me a bit to warm up to, but then once it had me... it HAD ME! I had to watch and see what was going on, and oh my gosh it was a race to the end! So fantastic!

The Deer Hunter


Okay so this movie had an amazing cast, and such great potential. But holy cow it was 3 hours and 3 minutes long, and it was at least an hour too long! It took me over an hour to get into the movie, and then it was hard to figure out what the director wanted out of the movie, and then it started to pick up, and then kind of died off again, and then ended well. Now I know that was a horrible run on sentence, but oh my gosh that is what that movie felt like! But on an up note Meryl Streep... looked amazing, and did a fantastic job. Christopher Walken did incredible! And Robert DeNiro... I didn't even believe this was him! He looked really attractive, and was a completely different character than anything else I had every seen him in. It was cool. But the movie itself, I really don't see why it is on the list.

Next up for me to watch tonight! 12 ANGRY MEN! I'm so excited!

3 comments:

Liz said...

Woo hoo! I've been lax on this goal of mine, but come the end of the semester, I'm all over like white on rice! I LOVED DOUBLE INDEMNITY. Totally ahead of its time. And I haven't seen Deer Hunter yet, so I'm excited to!

A said...

I just saw Double Indemnity recently too and loved it. I especially liked the way he said "Baby." I'm such a film noir fan.

I also recently watched Vertigo which was very very good.

Jaggers Brain said...

I know... Double Indemnity was incredible! So good, I wish they made films that good these days!