Monday, February 8, 2010

From Another Time

Recently I have been watching older classic movies, and listening to older music. For example I am at work right now and listening to one of my Louis Armstrong albums. I just love the peace and happiness I feel when I listen to it. It just seems to be a more respectful and innocent time. I mean I know it wasn't, but I like my dream-like ideals of that time and age.

I just don't see how we have changed so much in so little time, in terms of respect and common decency. But I guess that could be a whole different blog post. I do love where we've come in terms of human rights, and technology, but I think we've taken several steps back in terms of charity and general concern for others. We've become a much more selfish people.



Oh and as for my movie reviews... let's see... this week I've watched: 12 Angry Men, On the Waterfront, Open City, and Fight Club.(on TV)



This movie quickly became one of my most favorite movies ever! So powerful, so brilliant, and amazing! The acting, the idea, the directing, the simplicity, just WOW. Now I had seen the play, and had always wanted to make it an all girl cast, and I think I would still like to do that, but there was something so powerful with having a all guy cast in the time period in which it was set. I just can't say enough good things about this movie. It is a must see for ALL!



I LOVED ON THE WATERFRONT!!! Such an incredible movie, so far my second favorite movie (of the new classics I have seen.) I just love the storyline, the acting, all of it. It was so so so so good!



Open City was an interesting one. First off I loved that none of it was in English, but that was also extremely difficult as they only seemed to subtitle half of the conversations. I loved the story line, and the acting. The actress playing the part of Pina was my absolute favorite! She has been the first "real" woman I have seen portrayed on film in awhile. It isn't on the AFI list, but it's a goodie!



I've always been intrigued by "Fight Club." I have heard amazing things about the film, and so I decided I would watch it when it came on TV. And it did not disappoint. The storyline was incredible. I loved the acting. The idea was awesome. The execution of the film was awesome... even down to tiny details. So so awesome! Plus Brad Pitt's body in the film is incredible. Is it even real? I do have to add a caution however... the language and violence are excessive and shocking at moments. But great film! This one wasn't on the AFI list, but it is on a couple other top 100 film lists. I approve!

And finally... what I am reading! Right now I am 50 pages away from finishing Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith. And oh my goodness it is awesome and hilarious. Now I must preface this by saying that I have never been able to get through the real Pride and Prejudice, I have just seen a few versions of the film, but this book is awesome and I do hope they make it into a film. I would definitly recommend this book to almost anyone! I can't wait to finish!

2 comments:

K + J said...

Miss Jagger! First of all, I love that picture of you! When was that taken? It's beautiful! And Also, I just got the zombie book for Christmas! I haven't started it yet, though. And lastly, we will be in Rexburg this weekend. After finding out about Playmill auditions, we made a hasty decision, and we're going to give it one last shot! I thought that part of our lives was over, but the timing is perfect, and it's something we've both always wanted to do. So anyway, I know you have a busy schedule, but I thought I'd let you know we'll be down there on Friday night, leaving Sunday morning. Love you so much! I am so thankful that you guys drove so far to come see us last month. You don't know just how much that visit meant to both of us. Hope everything is going well.

Jaggers Brain said...

The picture is my headshot from like 2004/05 I think. I really like it... I just need to lose some weight so I feel good taking headshots again. I just feel too fat.

Oh man I hope I can get to you guys this weekend! Eek... so excited!