Friday, November 12, 2010

The Theatre Life

I thought I would share a post about school. I am getting my MA in European Theatre, and am really loving it. It is really different from what I expected, but it is really interesting and something I am enjoying studying.

Part of my course is seeing shows in London, and some here in Canterbury. I am also going to Brussels for a conference next month. I thought I would share with everyone the shows I have seen so far.

The first show I made it to was "Money" by a company called Shunt. Now the inspiration from this show was Emile Zola's novel "L'argent" (which I haven't read) and loosely based on the financial crisis the UK is in now. Now that being said, it was really more a spectacle for the senses to me. There really wasn't much of a text and it seemed more about the built space and around the theme of money. I really enjoyed it, but don't know how to fully explain it.



The next show I got to see was "Faust" at the Young Vic in London. It was being done by the Icelandic company Vesturport. Again it was inspired by Goethe's text, as well as Marlowe's, however the company decided to make up their own text that is loosely based on Faust.

Again they had a fantastic set, and incredible talent. Unfortunately they also enjoyed shocking the audience. I am usually okay with this if it has a purpose, but it seemed to be shock just for cheap thrills. I liked the performance, but came away feeling like I was spoon fed the idea and theme; it was a watered down 'after school special' of Faust.



Then I went to see "Operation Greenfield" at the Gulbankian in Canterbury. Now this was my first experience with devised theatre, and I had no idea what to expect. I really loved it. I was impressed at the musicality of the group. So many wonderful instruments, and I loved the theme of faith and religion. I don't know how to describe it, except say it was a breath of fresh air. So far it's been my favorite thing I've seen.



And this past Tuesday I went and saw "The Caretaker" by Harold Pinter, which was playing at the Gulbankian. This was the first straight play I have seen since getting here. Here they stuck to the script, and it was a naturalistic take on Pinters text. It was refreshing to see something that wasn't trying to push buttons or be edgy. Saying that though, it was boring. I'm not a huge fan of the play, but it was nice to see something that was safe.



On Saturday I am seeing "Blasted" by Sarah Kane, and I know I will be shocked.
Next Saturday I am seeing "MacBeth" but I am afraid it won't be sticking to the text, so I'm not too sure what I will thin of it. I will tell you all about it soon.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

You sound busy, but happy! What an experience!!

Fitz said...

I know what you mean about spectacle. I love a good show, but sometimes I get tired of the fluff and extravagance and want something that stretches not only my intellectual boundaries, but also my imagination. An added bonus would be that it be entertaining too. ;) I recently saw "Being John Malkovich." Don't see it! It was a complete waste of time! It was one of those movies that claimed it was smart and then had to prove it. It pushed it's "intellectual agenda" so hard that it became nonsensical drivel! I was watching Glee (I know, not exactly filled with anything but spectacle) and Sue said something that dropped my jaw with its profound honesty and insightfulness. She said, "Artists are free to push boundaries to make art. But when pushing boundaries is their only aim, the result is usually bad art." Those boundaries can vary from pizazz to pseudo-intellectual. Straying to any extreme without something to balance it out is just bad art. Okay, I will get off my soap box now. Would you care to take it from me to keep me from being tempted to climb back on it and blab again?

Lizzie said...

YIKES GOOD LUCK WITH blasted.....lots of F***! HEHA XX

Jaggers Brain said...

Lisa Lis... this experience is incredible, and I don't even have words to express all that I am learning, living, and feeling. It really is what I need to be doing with my life right now.

Ella... such an awesome quote, and I totally like you on your soap box. I only wish you could be here to see and learn all I am.

Lizzie... man I wish I had a bit more warning about Sarah Kane's "Blasted." I really wasn't prepared for that. And I still don't know what I fully think of it. But some of the images will never leave my brain I am sure.