Monday, August 23, 2010

Lessons Learned




As is obvious to anyone who has had the pleasure of my company for the last week, I have had a hard week. Anything and Everything that could go wrong DID. Now throughout the week, and still now (if I'm being honest) I am struggling to see the good in any of this.

At this point it is all out of my hands, but that ALSO is driving me crazy. I know that I am the one who chooses how to react, I just wish I had a better eternal perspective.

Heavenly Father has given me quite a few spiritual TIME OUTS where I can feel his peace, and feel rested in order to take on the next event, but really sometimes I wish I could just see the end of all of this. It really is getting funny at this point.

I will try to share a few of the experiences to prove my point, or to just share a giggle.

1. I order a book online, and it takes the longest time ever to get to me... spending 3 days in Denver.
2. I order a computer a week ago, it is still processing now. I have called every weekday since, to try and help it along... to no avail... every time I call it is still processing and there is nothing they can do about it.
3. I leave Utah next Friday and have to leave my apartment by the 31st, and that is the mailing address for the UK Border Agency to send my visa. (Did I mention I haven't been thinking to clearly... or maybe I could have avoided that.)
4. Went to the temple on Saturday, ended up running late and missed the session.
5. Got nasty blisters on my feet from the shoes I wore to the temple.
6. The poor guy who bought my motorcycle is now fighting with my bank to get the bike title, even though he paid for it. (I think my bad luck is now rubbing off on others.)
7. Got pink eye last week.
8. Face broke out all last week.

I really am waiting to hear of the next big upset. Now though I just giggle when these things happen. I think that that has been the best point of view for me to take at this point.

The amazing thing is that with all this negative I have been feeling an outpouring of love, and have been learning a lot spiritually. So maybe that is the good balance. My life is on a crazy tailspin, all except my spirituality, which is really making leaps and bounds in the positive!

So I thought I would share some of the great words of wisdom that have helped me in the past week. Who knows who else needs it!

"I can choose how I'm going to regard unfortunate circumstances in my life- whether I will see them as curses or opportunities (and on the occasions when I can't rise to the most optimistic viewpoint, because I'm feeling too damn sorry for myself, I can choose to keep trying to change my outlook.)"
--Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. P. 177

"Discouraging things will happen, but we will not get discouraged." --Johnathan Dippold, missionary of the SEM.

"I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much." --Mother Teresa




"Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed." D&C 123:17

4 comments:

maynardmoments said...

One foot in front of the other girl! Just keep on going. That is the one thing you can control. Loves!

SamieeDee said...

The unfolding of my life is not an issue of competance or control it is an issue of faith. :)

A said...

Your list really made me think of something--opposition!! I couldn't help but think of the opposition dialogue we would give to investigators with baptismal dates, and the times on my mission when it felt like a companionship would get bombarded with opposition--because of the progress and good things we were doing. It seems like when we try to do something good, opposition's right there to try to stop us. So I don't know if that's what this is, but it certainly sounds like it.

Jaggers Brain said...

I agree with all of you. I know that I need to have faith that everything will work out, because I know this is what I'm supposed to be doing with my life. I just wish I could see the end, and make sure everything works out. I guess I just need patience.

Thank you for your thoughts! I really am blessed with the best friends ever! Love you all